What in the world is an eggplant?!?
You know the eggplant as that purple veggie emoji on your keyboard. But did you know that, when roasted, it’s actually a really great source of fiber for your body?
We want to share our scrumptious eggplant recipe with you today! These things are LOADED with goodness: onions, cinnamon, cherry tomatoes, and reduced fat feta cheese, all packed inside the shell of an eggplant!
How much better can healthy eating get?
Check it out, and make sure to keep up with our blog for more great recipes!
- 3 medium eggplants
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 cups of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 of a cup of walnuts, chopped
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano
- 1/4 of a cup of reduced fat feta cheese
- Cut the eggplants in half, lengthwise, and scoop out the flesh, leaving 1/2 of an inch on the shell. Chop the scooped-out flesh into 1/2 of an inch cubes, and set in a colander. Sprinkle the eggplant cubes and the inside the eggplant shells with salt. Let them stand for 30 minutes, then rinse rinse them and pat them dry.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Drop the eggplant shells in the water, and simmer for 7 minutes. Shells should be barely tender when poked with a fork. Drain them and pat them dry.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onions for 5 minutes. Add the chopped eggplant, tomatoes, walnuts, cinnamon, oregano, and 1/4 of a cup of filtered water. Cook them for 8 minutes (until softened and brown).
- Preheat the oven to broil. Place the eggplant shells on a greased baking sheet. Broil them for 5 minutes. Reduce the oven heat to 375° F.
- Fill each eggplant shell with veggies. Sprinkle in the feta cheese. Bake them for 35 minutes, or until browned on top.