Wait…”healthy”, “gluten free”, and “chicken nuggets” all in the same sentence?
That’s right! This chicken nugget recipe is low in calories, carbs, fat, AND it has a healthy dose of protein!
Compare that to its MSG, sodium laden counterpart, we’d say you’re getting a pretty good deal.
What better way to combat the junk food cravings than by making healthy versions of your favorite goodies!?
Not sure about healthy chicken? Just wing it!
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash of pepper
- 3 Tablespoons Dijon mustard (gluten free)
- 3 eggs
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 box Mary’s Gone Crackers, gluten free crackers, ground to crumbs
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets with olive oil.
- Rinse the chicken breasts and pat dry. Place between two sheets of parchment paper and pound it down to ½ inch thickness. Trim off any excess fat and cut into 2-inch strips. Cut the strips into about 80 2×2 inch nuggets.
- Arrange 3 shallow bowls next to your prepared baking pans. In the first bowl combine the almond flour, arrowroot starch, salt, and pepper. In the second bowl combine the Dijon, eggs and olive oil. In the third bowl combine the gluten free cracker crumbs and nutritional yeast.
- Take each chicken piece and drag it through bowl #1, dip into bowl #2 and roll in bowl #3. Place each coated nugget on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake the chicken for 20 minutes, then turn the oven on high broil for about 2 minutes to get them really crispy.
- Serve with natural ketchup and mustard. Enjoy!
*Freeze leftover nuggets in a freezer safe bag. To reheat place on a baking sheet at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes, or until warmed through.
Number of servings: 80 nuggets
Calories per nugget: 37
Sodium: 44 mg