Breakfast is tough, isn’t it? All the stereotypical “breakfast” foods are loaded with sugar and fat, and they have barely any nutrients. But then breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Whatever you eat in the morning will steer your cravings for the rest of the day!
What you need is a breakfast that’s low carb, low fat, and packed to the brim with tasty nutrition. Good thing today’s recipe is the Breakfast Bird Nest. Why not whip a few up?
- 4 large, round tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 slices organic, nitrate-free turkey bacon, chopped
- dash of dried oregano, plus more for garnish
- dash of pepper
- 4 organic, omega-3, free range eggs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash your tomatoes, slice off their tops and scoop out the insides. Place your tomatoes on a pan and bake for 5 minutes.
- In a skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add garlic. Add onion. Add chopped bacon. Sauté for 5 minutes, until mostly cooked. Add the spices and mix well.
- Turn oven to broil.
- Fill each tomato with the bacon mixture, leaving about a 1/2 inch of space at the top of each tomato. Crack an egg into each tomato then sprinkle with oregano. Place in the oven under broiler for 5 minutes. Remove from oven once the top has set, and you’ll have perfectly done over easy eggs.
- For well done eggs: change oven temperature back to 400 degrees F, and continue to bake for an additional 10 minutes.