That’s right, we’re telling you to have dessert. And we’re not talking a few slices of apple here, we’re talking cake. Angel food cake! And you know what else? You don’t even have to wait for your cheat day to make some.
Why? Because our angel food cake is low calorie, low sodium, low fat, and zero cholesterol. And it’s high in flavor.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 egg whites
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Grab your 10-inch tube pan (and make sure it’s clean and dry, since any residue could deflate the egg whites).
- Sift together the flour and 3/4 cup of the sugar, then set that aside.
- In a large bowl, whip the egg whites along with the vanilla, cream of tartar and salt to medium stiff peaks.
- Gradually add the remaining sugar while continuing to whip to stiff peaks.
- When the egg white mixture has reached its maximum volume, fold in the sifted ingredients gradually, one third at a time. (Don’t over mix!)
- Put the batter into the tube pan.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until the cake springs back when touched.
- Balance the tube pan upside down on top of a bottle, to prevent decompression while cooling.
- When cool the pan is cool, run a knife around the edge of the pan and turn over the cake onto a plate.