It’s time to head west for our recipes this week – specifically, the Mediterranean!
Mediterranean food is unmistakable for its blends of spices combined with different kinds of meats, from chicken to lamb.
But it also can be healthier than you might expect. These dishes usually are high in protein and fiber and aren’t too greasy or heavy.
From hummus to kebabs, today’s four recipes are sure to add flavor and depth to your cookbook. Throw in your favorite vegetables and salad and you have yourself a few Mediterranean meals to remember!
Oh yeah, all these recipes are quick and easy to prepare, so they’re great for whenever you’re in a rush.
Festive Hummus (Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil)
- 1 (15 oz.) can of garbanzo beans
- 1 tablespoon of tahini
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed
- ¼ of a teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of soy sauce
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes
- ¼ of a cup of basil leaves
- Throw all the ingredients into a food processor and combine until smooth.
White Bean Hummus
- 2 cans of white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ of a cup of whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- ½ of a teaspoon of dried basil
- ½ of a teaspoon of thyme
- A dash of salt
- Throw everything into the food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Spread onto the bread or use as a dip for cut veggies.
Mediterranean Lettuce Wrap
- 1 large leaf of lettuce
- 2 slices of lean turkey
- 1 roasted bell pepper, cut into 4 segments (try roasting your own bell peppers by grilling until the skin is ready to fall off)
- 2 tablespoons of garlic hummus
- 1 tablespoon of olive tapenade
- Lay the lettuce leaf flat and spread with 1 tablespoon of hummus. Place the turkey slices on the lettuce and spread with the remaining hummus. Sprinkle the olive tapenade over the turkey and top with the roasted bell pepper.
- Wrap the lettuce. Use a toothpick to hold it together.
Mediterranean Turkey Kebabs
- 1 ½ lbs. of turkey breast, deboned, trimmed of skin and cut into thin strips
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 2 eggs
- ¼ of a cup of almond meal (more if needed)
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of sweet paprika
- ½ of a teaspoon of cinnamon
- A dash of salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, finely chopped
- In a food processor, blend the turkey strips until ground. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse until well blended.
- Preheat your grill or grill pan.
- Lightly grease your hands, then press the meat into the wooden skewers in an elongated meatball shape until it covers about 3-4 inches. If the meat is not sticking, then add some more almond meal.
- Grill for about 8 minutes per side.