Who doesn’t love a burrito? There’s something about a scramble of ingredients tucked inside a warm tortilla that gets the taste buds rolling.
Unfortunately, burritos are usually associated with greasy unhealthiness. Right now, you might be picturing that carne asada burrito from the taqueria you frequent.
Even in all of its glory, you know that it’s going to fight your stomach a few hours down the road.
Hey there, don’t worry. We here at Fit Body have the solution to you burrito woes: the clean burrito.
You’d be surprised at how far swapping ingredients can go to make a burrito health-friendly. Adding a few succulent vegetables with some whole grains, in addition to substituting in some lean protein, can elevate the nutritional value of your burrito without sacrificing too much flavor.
Whether you’re heading out the door to work or staying in for the night, the clean burrito is easy to prepare and even easier on your body.
- 1 sprouted grain, flourless tortilla
- 1 tablespoon hummus
- 1/3 cup cooked brown rice
- ¼ cup cooked black beans
- ½ cup cooked chicken, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons chopped cucumber
- ¼ cup shredded arugula
- 3 cherry tomatoes, chopped
- Warm the tortilla in a dry skillet. Spread the hummus evenly over the tortilla.
- Lay rice, beans, chicken, and veggies over the surface of the tortilla.
- Fold the two sides of the tortilla in over the filling. Then, flip up the bottom edge and roll tightly.
- You can pair this burrito with your favorite salsa as well!
Fat: 7.8 g
Carbohydrates: 45 g
Fiber: 7 g
Protein: 31 g